DEPARTMENT HISTORY

2017

2017 Auburn University Charles Miller Jr. Poultry Research and Education CenterThree buildings are completed at the Charles C. Miller Junior Poultry Research and Education Center in North Auburn. 

 
 
MAY 2016

Ground breaking for new farm facilities in North Auburn is scheduled.

 2016

The Board of Trustees approves Food Science as stand-alone degree.  

 
 
2015

Department of Poultry Science New FarmThe planning and approval process for the Charles C. Miller Jr. Poultry Research & Education Center in North Auburn begins.

2012

FeedStoredAuburn University’s Poultry & Animal Nutrition Center (feed mill) opens in North Auburn. 

 

 
 
2010

Food Science program is integrated into the department.

2006

The “Virtual Chicken“, a 3-D animation of the female reproductive system and egg formation is released as teaching resource.

 
 
2005

Poultry Science Building at Auburn UniversityThe new Poultry Science Building opens on Lem Morrison.

1996

Auburn Peak of Excellence program,
Poultry Products Safety and Quality, is established. 

 
 
1980’S

Alabama becomes number one broiler producing and processing state in the USA.

1970’S

Original Research Farm Unit Poultry Science Auburn UniversityPoultry Research Farm Unit is built near South College Street.

 
 
 1968

Mortality composting methods are refined by J.P. Blake

1962

The Department of Poultry Science develops Infectious Bursal Disease and Fowl Pox vaccines.

 
 

 
 
1961

Poultry Scientists at the Department of Poultry Science “Poultry Husbandry” officially changes its name to “Department of Poultry Science.” The first Poultry Science PhD degree is given. Fowl Cholera control is developed by E.C. Mora.

 
1952

S. A. Edgar Department of Poultry ScienceS.A. Edgar develops the coccidia vaccine.

 

 
 
1948

First-ever M.S. degrees in poultry science are awarded.

1947

Poultry Husbandry returns to separate department status.

 
   

1934

The department is re-incorporated into the Animal Husbandry Department. The “Auburn Strain” of single comb white leghorns is developed.

1929 

G.A. Trollop, former Department of Poultry Science HeadPoultry Husbandry is established as a separate department, G.A. Trollope is named head.

 

 
   

1924

Under the leadership of John Ivey, the poultry program becomes part of the Animal Industry Department.

1921

Auburn University Poultry Science Extension Feed Display

Extension Feed Display, 1920s.

 The program’s first extension poultry specialist, Gladys Tappon, is hired.

 
 
1920

The poultry husbandry courses are moved into Home Economics, as tending chickens usually fell to women in the family.

1912

The first-ever course in poultry husbandry
was taught in the Animal Industry Department.