|Ph.D. Nutrition and Physiology, North Carolina State University, 2014|
|M.S. Poultry Science, North Carolina State University, 2011|
|B.S. Food Science and Technology, Panamerican Agriculture University, 2005|
|Feed Milling Extension Specialist and Assistant Professor, Auburn University|
|Department of Poultry Science, Auburn University|
Honors and Awards
|Young Scientist Travel Grant, World Poultry Congress, Beijing China, 2016|
|Student Research Paper Certificate of Excellence, Poultry Science Association, 2014|
|Poultry Science Association|
|Southern Poultry Science Society|
|American Feed Industry Association|
|Alabama Poultry and Egg Association|
Research is focused on the interrelationships of feed milling, nutrition, and physiology on poultry performance; implementation of feed mill techniques that improve feed efficiency and reduce feed costs; identification of processing alternatives to decrease bacterial load in feed and feedstuffs; stability of feed additives during thermal processing, and use feed additives to improve broiler performance.
Our extension program in feed milling supports the existing feed industry in the state by providing extension education in essential areas such as feed mill regulations, feed milling operations, ingredient and feed quality, feed safety as well as animal nutrition and serves as a catalytic agent to bring new ideas and innovation, which are essential for the future of the feed and poultry industry. Participation in fairs, FFA, and 4-H activities.
POUL 8960 Special Problems
Guest Lectures – POUL 3100 Basics of Feed Manufacturing, Auburn University
Guest Lectures – Quality – POUL 5050/6050 – Poultry Feeding, Auburn University
peer-reviewed journal Publications
- Xu, Y., C. R. Stark, P. R. Ferket, C. M. Williams, W. J. Pacheco, and J. Brake. 2015. Effect of dietary coarsely ground corn on broiler live performance, gastrointestinal tract development, apparent ileal digestibility of energy and nitrogen, and digesta particle size distribution and retention time. Poult. Sci. 94:53-60.
- Pacheco, W. J., C. R. Stark, P. R. Ferket, and J. Brake. 2014. Effect of trypsin inhibitor and particle size of expeller extracted soybean meal on broiler live performance and weight of gizzard and pancreas. Poult. Sci. 93:2245-2252.
- Pacheco, W. J., C. R. Stark, P. R. Ferket, and J. Brake. 2013. Evaluation of soybean meal source and particle size on broiler performance, nutrient digestibility, and gizzard development. Poult. Sci. 92:2914-2922.
- Pacheco, W. J., Fahrenholz, A. C., and C. R. Stark. What does larger/smaller particle size mean for feed mill managers? Feedstuffs, February 2018.
- Fahrenholz, A. C., W. J. Pacheco, and C. R. Stark. Cooler weather impacts cooler performance. Feedstuffs, December 2017.
- Pacheco, W. J., Fahrenholz, A. C., and C. R. Stark. Feed conditioning during winter months. Feedstuffs, November 2017.
- Stark, C. R., A. C. Fahrenholz, W. J. Pacheco. Mixing 101. Feedstuffs, October 2017.
- Fahrenholz, A. C., W. J. Pacheco, and C. R. Stark. Size and Structure, Strengths and Weaknesses. Feedstuffs, September 2017
- Pacheco, W. J., and J. B. Hess. 2017. Maintaining feed quality on the farm. Practical Applications, Alabama Poultry.
- Pacheco, W. J., Fahrenholz, A. C., and C. R. Stark. Sampling ingredients, finished feeds essential. Feedstuffs, August 2017.
- Stark, C. R., A. C. Fahrenholz, W. J. Pacheco. Managing by numbers. Feedstuffs, July 2017.
- Fahrenholz, A. C., W. J. Pacheco, and C. R. Stark. Do what you say, then document it. Feedstuffs, June 2017.
- Stark, C. R., A. C. Fahrenholz, W. J. Pacheco. The daily grind of a hammermill. Feedstuffs, May 2017.
- Hess, J. B., E. van Santen, W. J. Pacheco, C. W. Starkey, W. D. Berry and W. A. Dozier. 2017. Lupins: An alternative protein source for poultry and pigs. WATTAgNet.com
- Pacheco, W. J., Fahrenholz, A. C., and C. R. Stark. Strategies to reduce shrink during feed processing. Feedstuffs, April 2017.
- Fahrenholz, A. C., C. R. Stark, and W. J. Pacheco. Mills need to provide context for growth performance number. Feedstuffs, March 2017.
- Hess, J. B., W. J. Pacheco, W. D. Berry, an d W. A. Dozier. 2017. Mycotoxins in broiler and breeder feeds. Practical Applications, Alabama Poultry.
- Stark, C. R., A. C. Fahrenholz, W. J. Pacheco. Evaluating Particle size. Feedstuffs, February 2017.
- Stark, C. R., A. C. Fahrenholz, W. J. Pacheco. University feed programs continue to grow. Feedstuffs, January 2017.
- Pacheco, W. J., C. R. Stark, A. Fahrenholz. Improving pellet quality in poultry feed. Feedstuffs, October 2016.
- Pacheco, W. J., C. R. Stark, A. Fahrenholz. Feed manufacturing: Pellet drying, cooling. Feedstuffs, March 2016.
- Hess, J. B., W. J. Pacheco, and W. D. Berry. 2016. Practical thoughts on feeding small poultry flocks. Chicken Whisperer Magazine, Spring 2016.
- Pacheco, W. J., C. R. Stark, A. Fahrenholz. 2015. Effects of diet particle size on poultry performance. Alabama A&M & Auburn Universities Extension. ANR-2289.